The Anthem Go Outside Festival (GO Fest), the annual celebration of everything outdoors, is this weekend! Check it out (admission is free!) from 6 p.m. on Friday, October 18 until 5 p.m. on Sunday, October 20 at River’s Edge Park South (a new location this year), 302 Wiley Drive SW, Roanoke, VA 24014. There are going to be almost 125 outdoor activities and events this year! Here are our top ten:
- The Demo Pool. “Test drive” a kayak or a stand-up paddleboard. This is always tons of fun for kids and adults – just remember to bring a change of clothes in case you tip over!
- Musical Chairs. At Crazy Creek’s tent, play a game of musical chairs to win an awesome ($55 value!) Crazy Creek chair.
- Trick Dog Testing. If you’ve got a dog that knows her stuff, enter her in the Star City Canine Training Club’s skill test for $5. You can also try their agility/obstacle course.
- Free Yoga Class. Hosted by Uttara, there will be one class for all levels and another focused on families/kids.
- The Roanoke Airsoft Test Range. Yes, anyone age 12 and up can try out an airsoft pistol – and enter to win an airsoft battleground experience for ten people!
- The Fatbike Tractor Pull. Earn the coveted Franklin County Fatbike Tractor Pull Championship Sticker by pulling a weighted canoe 30 yards with an off-road fat-tire bike.
- Walkabout Outfitter’s Wild Gear Chase. Using a map, a corresponding "cue sheet," and your brains, race to checkpoints (both urban and wilderness locations) scattered throughout a two-mile radius of GO Fest. You get two hours to complete the chase and get back to the Walkabout Outfitter tent. Win prizes!
- The Backwards Bike. Try out Roanoke Mountain Adventures’ “backwards bike” – the steer tube is reversed, making the ride a true test of mind and body. Make it 30 feet and win a $50 gift card for consignment or rentals at their shop!